[meteorite-list] DIAMOND IN THE CANYON DIABLO IRON

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:43 2004

I have in my collection, one nice iron with a black
diamond cluster visible on a sandblasted surface.

I attempted to blast what I thought was a thick
coating of oxide off the specimen. As I did so on the
piece, I found that the crystal structure became very
evident in bold relief.

In the center of one of these faces where the crystals
were very apparent was what I thought to be residual
oxide.

I attempted to sand blast it away, and still it
remained sticking out of the matrix.

I was amazed, and getting my hand lens examined the
spot closely. I could not believe my eyes... as I saw
the tiny crystal face, very black and quite distinct.

It was a genuine Canyon Diablo black diamond cluster.

I still have the piece in my collection.

I might, if I can get my digital camera in close
enough to take a picture of it, post it on my site for
all to see.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocites.com/meteorite_identification

http://www.minsocam.org/msa/collectors_corner/arc/diamondm.htm