[meteorite-list] Meteorite question

From: rochette <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:43 2004

<excerpt><excerpt>Sonny Clary wrote:

   What is the difference between a fall with numerous meteorites, and
a strewnfield.

Or are they the same?

Hello Sonny,

</fontfamily>

meteorites will create a strewn field. Which is the distribution
pattern of the fallen meteorites. Typically this is oval with the
larger meteorites at the furthest end as momentum takes them farther.
There are however many cases of strewn fields that do not take this
pattern. Also depending on the ground they fall on, the meteorite can
be moved by natural forces to make a strewn field not oval, but I think
I answered your question.

</fontfamily>

</fontfamily>

</fontfamily></excerpt>I found this question very important in its
implications and not yet answered:

is a strewnfield limited to a shower from a single fall (like Gold
Basin, Holbrook,...)

or is a place were lot of meteorites are found (like Dar Al Gani,
HaH,...)also a strewnfield?

I think the limited definition is the right one but I heard other
people using both sense, leading to some misunderstanding. Any
"official" position?

</excerpt>

Pierre