[meteorite-list] Item #2175659927

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:43 2004

I think, however this turns out, that from this point
forward all COA's issued by members of IMCA should
have clear statements that they apply only to the
specimens submitted with agreed upon forms of
presentation.

These forms should include as I previously stated, a
clear picture of the specimen, with a measuring scale
and a physical description of the specimen in the same
certificate. I think that this could be done by the
agency manking the ID either digtally or with a hard
photo. A hard copy of the COA would then be sent to
the finder and another kept by the agency with the
submitted specimen.

This is a subject that IMCA members should open for
discussion, hopefully arriving at a standard that will
be adapted by us all.

Currently, it is my policy to keep all submitted
specimens, as these are in all cases fragments of
something larger. On meteorite suspects I will not
accept registered packages that are insured. Once I
had a guy from Arkansas send me unsolicited his "Jenny
Lee" meteorwrong, a egg sized piece of pyrite insured
for $25,000. I had to send that back also insured for
the same, hoping that he would not say that the
speicmen I had returned was not the one that he sent.

So, with this in mind, I changed my policy regarding
meteorite suspects. Nothing will be accepted that are
insured, or registered, and specimens will not be
returned, unless agreed upon after a positive
determination is arrived at.

Specimens that are not meteorites are discarded after
six or more months. And if the specimen is one of
those very, very rare meteorites out of the thousands
of meteorwrongs that I receive, and if the finder
decides that they want to sell the remaining piece
without further testing by the Meteoritical Society,
which I strongly recommend, that is their prerogative.
 But, at least I have the original test piece in my
files with my COA to back up my initial claim...
should any questions arise.

This scenario, however has not happened, yet, and I
think with my suggestion regarding COA's we will be
better protected.

Steve Schoner/AMS