[meteorite-list] Item #2175659927 - What IF it is Iron-shale?

From: LITIG8NSHARK_at_aol.com <LITIG8NSHARK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:43 2004

--part1_97.391df2d1.2c0006e8_boundary

Good evening Rob, and all,

I have always considered meteoritic iron shale to be somewhere between a
meteorite and a terrestrial mineral. I have no problem if it is advertised as
shale from a meteorite. It does typically contain some meteoritic properties.
However, to advertise and sell it as a meteorite specimen, in my opinion, is a
bit misleading. Shale can be a great filler for those specimens that many of
us would not otherwise be able to afford, such as Willamette. Unfortunately,
we collectors, scientists and dealers may be able to come to a consensus about
what "shale" should be referred to as in a sale but, that will not stop
uninformed folks from representing it otherwise. All we can really do is to be
vigilant in what we buy and sell, and gently educate others where we can.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Have a great weekend Folks.

Best Regards,

Paul

--part1_97.391df2d1.2c0006e8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#80ffff"><FONT COLOR=
=3D"#0000ff" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Good ev=
ening Rob, and all,<BR>
<BR>
I have always considered meteoritic iron shale to be somewhere between a met=
eorite and a terrestrial mineral.&nbsp; I have no problem if it is <I>advert=
ised</I> as shale from a meteorite.&nbsp; It does typically contain some met=
eoritic properties.&nbsp; However, to advertise and sell it as a <B>meteorit=
e specimen</B>, in my opinion, is a bit misleading.&nbsp; Shale can be a gre=
at filler for those specimens that many of us would not otherwise be able to=
 afford, such as Willamette.&nbsp; Unfortunately, we collectors, scientists=20=
and dealers may be able to come to a consensus about what "shale" should be=20=
referred to as in a sale but, that will not stop uninformed folks from repre=
senting it otherwise.&nbsp; All we can really do is to be vigilant in what w=
e buy and sell, and gently educate others where we can.<BR>
<BR>
Just my thoughts on the matter.<BR>
<BR>
Have a great weekend Folks.<BR>