[meteorite-list] Meteorite Fall In Georgia?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:45 2004

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1297825&nav=0qq6G4jv

Meteorite on Tybee?
WTOC 11 (Savannah, Georgia)

Imagine hanging out on the deck with friends and family when suddenly,
something just drops from the sky. It hit the deck--literally--during a
Tybee cookout. No one can be absolutely sure about what it is, but for
this family, one thing they do know is this is a family vacation they
will never forget.

Witnesses described a loud bang, like board on board smashing together.
It was a space rock that this Chicago family says landed in the backyard
of their summer home.

"We saw a divot in the deck and we picked it up," recalled David Lozano.
"It was very warm, not hot."

At first, everyone had their own theory on the rock's origin.

"I thought a bird dropped it," said Lozano. "I thought it just clopped down."

"I thought no way, there are no meteors in Savannah," one young witness said.

But after a few close observations and a few phone calls, this family came
to realize this foreign object might actually be from a galaxy far, far away.
Luckily no one got hurt and the only damage was this dent in the deck: now
the question for these amateur astrologers is, what's next?

"I'll take it to Chicago see if we have any bidders," said John Crowley. "Put
it in the family fund and we will be back here next year."

The family says they know people in Chicago who can tell them if the rock
really is meteorite, and how much they can get for it.

Reported by: Hena Daniels, hdaniels_at_wtoc.com