[meteorite-list] Ad - Weekly Rare Material

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:45 2004

Dear List Members,

In a continued effort to make new and exciting material available to
collectors we would like to announce this weeks rare special. This weeks
meteorite is called NWA 1793. Its formal classification is a Black
Chondrite L3, S3-5, W1. What makes this meteorite interesting is that the
so-called Black Chondrites only make up12% of all chondrites. Add the fact
that it is an L3 and so highly shocked and you may only come up with one or
two others in the world.

We thought this was an Impact Melt Breccia at first because of the deformed
metal and vesicles. We had to question the laboratory twice just in case
there was a mix up. They explained that shock and metamorphism are two
different things. Even though the chondrules are deformed and shock
blackened this has nothing to do with its petrologic grade other than it
would make it very difficult to subclass. So there you have it, an L3 with
very difficult to see chondrules, veined metal and vesicles, a rare beast to
be sure.

To see this rarity, check out the eBay link below under NWA 1793:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/meteoritelab/

Thank you for looking and if you are bidding, good luck.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185