[meteorite-list] Is Shirokovsky a meteorite?

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:46 2004

Hello, Craig and the list,

letīs play, Shirovsky is a man-made one, ok? It has all characteristics of
pallasite, expect the terrestial form of olivine-crystals.

A diamond mined is a diamond, a synthetic one has same characteristics,
but is a man-made one, so both of them are diamonds. This is the same
in all man-made minerals and gems (not in fantasy ones).

In meteorites we donīt have the ethical norms widely accepted, and also
the therminology is quite wild (I donīt still know, what is the main mass.)
So if we want to avoid the availability of "man-made meteorites", we should
have exact rules for the therminology in use.

The case with synthetic gems was actual after twenties, when the lab. ruby
was first time widely made. There are some ethic norms in gems, if you are
selling a synthetic one, that should be mentioned, some dealers do this,
some
doesnīt. Anyway, new types of synthetics / modifications are coming to the
market daily, and some times itīs really hard even to a professional
gemmologist
to say, which is which.

The market of the meteorites has not been very wide, but when we a speaking
quite highly priced ones, like rare pallasites, there is no doubt,
somebody has
thought, how to make them. And when the technique is once found, we can
be sure, there will be more soon. Thatīs why we should have a clear system,
the whole community can accept. New types are found and named. We have
to remember, the research of meteorites is a quite young part of sience.
Also
we have a lot of non-scientist on this field, so I can imagine, the
future can be
quite complicated.

Well, itīs sure to me, a man-made pallasite is not a pallsite, but if
these will be
on the market in the future, they should be classified some way.

I have been in minerals and gems some 20 years, and I should know, what it
could be, when it goes wild...

This is all just fiction and 2 cent thoghts now, but can be true in
several years,
so please, donīt take my words literally. Just trying to provocate the
community
a bit...;-

take care,

pekka