[meteorite-list] Is Shirokovsky a meteorite?

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:46 2004

--part1_16e.1f3430cb.2c07dea6_boundary

> the seller was running an
> ebay auction for the same 0.64g slice. He replied that he would "look
> into it" and ended the auction. When I saw that he had relisted the
> slice last night, I first checked to see if he was still an IMCA member,
> as he had stated that he was the first time the slice was listed, but
> did not state as much in his current listing.

He may have "looked into it" at <A HREF="www.shirokovskymeteorite.com">www.shirokovskymeteorite.com</A> and decided that
was all he needed. It does seem curious though, that there is no mention of
the IMCA in this latest offering, especially if there was one before. By the
way, when this story first arose and I mentioned the above Shirokovsky website
on the list, I don't recall there being any website-sale links on it. Just
looking at it now, the sales link is most prominent and specimens are being
offered at $25/gram.

As to the "ethics" of selling, this situation isn't completely unprecedented
- a substance known as "Putorana" (sp?) came onto the market not so long
ago, and had lots of meteorite-savvy folks convinced it was a meso or a silicated
iron of some sort. Turned out to be terrestrial. It can still be found for
sale on some meteorite dealer's sites, but at least it's listed truthfully -
a terrestrial substance that looks astonishingly meteoritic. Seems like
Shirokovsky and Putorana can still be legitimately sold, as long as they're
accurately described. (And at sub-meteoritic prices!)

       Gregory

--part1_16e.1f3430cb.2c07dea6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> <BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">the seller was running an<BR>
ebay auction for the same 0.64g slice.&nbsp; He replied that he would "look<=

into it" and ended the auction.&nbsp; When I saw that he had relisted the<BR=

slice last night, I first checked to see if he was still an IMCA member,<BR>
as he had stated that he was the first time the slice was listed, but<BR>
did not state as much in his current listing.&nbsp; </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
He may have "looked into it" at <A HREF=3D"www.shirokovskymeteorite.com">www=
.shirokovskymeteorite.com</A> and decided that was all he needed.&nbsp; It d=
oes seem curious though, that there is no mention of the IMCA in this latest=
 offering, especially if there was one before.&nbsp; By the way, when this s=
tory first arose and I mentioned the above Shirokovsky website on the list,=20=
I don't recall there being any website-<U>sale</U> links on it.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20=
Just looking at it now, the sales link is most prominent and specimens are b=
eing offered at $25/gram.<BR>
<BR>
As to the "ethics" of selling, this situation isn't completely unprecedented=
&nbsp; -&nbsp; a substance known as "Putorana" (sp?) came onto the market no=
t so long ago, and had lots of meteorite-savvy folks convinced it was a meso=
 or a silicated iron of some sort.&nbsp; Turned out to be terrestrial.&nbsp;=
&nbsp; It can still be found for sale on some meteorite dealer's sites, but=20=
at least it's listed truthfully - a terrestrial substance that looks astonis=
hingly meteoritic.&nbsp; Seems like Shirokovsky and Putorana can still be le=
gitimately sold, as long as they're accurately described.&nbsp; (And at sub-=
meteoritic prices!)<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_16e.1f3430cb.2c07dea6_boundary--