[meteorite-list] Possible Meteorite Recovered in Arkansas

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:44 2004

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=1513859

Soybean field may hold the key to a mystery
WMC-TV 5 (Memphis, Tennessee)
November 6, 2003

We have evidence of what may have caused the "night lights" in the Mid-South
sky Monday. Experts say Monday's night's explosion could have been a type of
meteor entering the earth's atmosphere. Most meteors burn up in the sky, but
every so often, they leave something behind. A soybean field in Palestine
Arkansas may hold the key to a mystery in Monday night's sky.

911 calls about a large explosion could have been a meteor. And while cutting
soybeans a day later, Bobby Huckaba found an odd looking rock at the edge of
the field in Palestine, Arkansas. "It just caught my attention so I just
wrapped it in a rag and put it in the truck." Huckaba says he noticed the
rock because it was embedded in the ground surrounded by loose dirt.

We took geology experts to meet with Huckaba and examine his discovery. "It's
certainly heavy like a meteorite." Experts said the rock appears to have been
exposed to a lot of heat, and it's very heavy for its size and it includes
glassy particles. All characteristics of a meteorite. Geologist Gary Patterson
said, "But to find out for sure it would need to go to a meteorite expert or
someone who classifies these kinds of rocks every day." And if it came from
outer space, meteorite collectors could come out of the wood work. An
obsession even our scientists couldn't explain. "Some people buy the cars
that meteorites hit, I don't know." For now Huckaba is going to hang on to
his find. "You haven't developed any special powers since yesterday, no not
yet." But for the right price Huckaba would be glad to give it up. After
all he says, it's just a rock.

The Pink Palace here in Memphis has offered to have the rock examined. Since
most meteorites were formed when the solar system was formed, it can answer
a lot of scientific questions.