[meteorite-list] Lincoln La Paz, basic bio

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:45 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0057_01C3A55E.03415CF0

Hello Walter and list,

Walter wrote:

"Seems like I was talking with someone about Canyon Diablo once, maybe it=
 was Marvin Kilgore, and I thought the person I was talking to told me th=
at there was no love lost between La Paz and Nininger. Do you know anyth=
ing about this?"

It is fair to say that Nininger and La Paz, both born in Kansas....were v=
ery bitter towards each other. La Paz taking the classic anti-dealer thi=
nking and Nininger thinking more along the line of then equals....work wi=
se. =20

Their relationship reached it's limits when La Paz stumbled upon the main=
 mass of Norton County....which should be a Nebraska Meteorite in my opin=
ion...and Nininger was down in the hole already. Nininger had used some =
of La Paz's information and La Paz was not happy at all. The farmer deci=
ded to auction the meteorite and La Paz (the University of New Mexico) wo=
n with the help of funds from Nebraska University. La Paz considered the=
 winning bid and victory for science.

Later when Nininger was studying surface features of meteorites, Nininger=
 requested some sample on loan from La Paz. As the University of New Mex=
ico's goals was to help meteorite science. La Paz made up a request form=
 that basically said if you sell meteorites for a living, the University =
would not loan you any meteorites. =20

While it is easy to understand each person's position it is a shame they =
could not work more together. Both helped our loved science very much.

Mark

------=_NextPart_001_0057_01C3A55E.03415CF0

<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff" STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;b=
ackground-color:#ffffff; "><DIV>Hello Walter and list,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;<=
/DIV> <DIV>Walter wrote:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>"<FONT face=3DArial=
>Seems like I was talking with someone about Canyon Diablo once, maybe it=
 was Marvin Kilgore, and I thought the person I was talking to told me th=
at there was no love lost between La Paz and Nininger.&nbsp; Do you know =
anything about this?"</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <D=
IV>It is fair to say that Nininger and La Paz, both born in Kansas....wer=
e very bitter towards each other.&nbsp; La Paz taking the classic anti-de=
aler thinking and Nininger thinking more along the line of then equals...=
.work wise.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Their relationship reache=
d it's limits when La Paz stumbled upon the main mass of Norton County...=
.which should be a Nebraska Meteorite in my opinion...and Nininger was do=
wn in the hole already.&nbsp; Nininger had used some of La Paz's informat=
ion and La Paz was not happy at all.&nbsp; The farmer decided to auction =
the meteorite and La Paz (the University of New Mexico) won with the help=
 of funds from Nebraska University.&nbsp; La Paz considered the winning b=
id and victory for science.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Later when Ninin=
ger was studying surface features of meteorites, Nininger requested some =
sample on loan from La Paz.&nbsp; As the University of New Mexico's goals=
 was to help meteorite science.&nbsp; La Paz made up a request form that =
basically said if you sell meteorites for a living, the University would =
not loan you any meteorites.&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>While it =
is easy to understand each person's position it is a shame they could not=
 work more together.&nbsp; Both helped our loved science very much.</DIV>=
 <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Mark</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0057_01C3A55E.03415CF0--