[meteorite-list] Stange Happenings in the Shop

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:45 2004

Hello Adam and the list,

hydrochloric acid has been widely used to remove calcite from the mineral
specimens. The smell of rotten eggs means usually hydrogen sulphide, so I
suppose, you have had a quite heavy liquid to clean the mets. Well, natural
product anyway, no doubt...;-

If the stuff has been a mixture of hydrochlorid acide and sulphuric
acid, you
have been lucky you didnīt hurt yourselves, huh. If you pour water / alcohol
to this heavy acid, the reaction may be very violent. But the mixture sure
etches irons...

take care,

pekka s

--