[meteorite-list] Chixculub material testing

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:49 2004

Dear List Members,

We would like to thank those who support our effort to test this material.
We are sure it is not from the 65 million year old impact event but still
have an open mind that it may be meteoritic even though the odds are heavily
stacked against it. This is not the first time we have tested questionable
material nor will it be the last. We tested material sold on eBay for
several parties including about a dozen List members. In every case the
material was not what it was represented to be. Also in every case it was
purchased from somebody who did not have a reputation for selling
meteorites. If the person is not knowledgeable about what they are selling,
stay away, there is a 99.8% chance it is not a meteorite.

We looked at dozens of suspected meteorites from outside Northwest Africa
and only one, very recently turned out to be an actual meteorite. Several
List members have worked with us regarding suspected finds and it troubles
us to tell them the specimens did not prove out in every case but one. None
of them offered any of this material for sale before it was tested showing
that most List members are not out to take advantage of anyone because some
of this material is very convincing. Others have unknowingly offered
meteorite wrongs purchased at bargain prices to be resold later from
somebody they trusted who said they where meteorites. We have found
material a few times that we thought was a meteorite just to find out it
wasn't so nobody is immune. If there is any doubt, have it tested or do not
buy it or sell it. It is worth far more classified than not, anyway.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185