[meteorite-list] (Sometimes) I hate to be a meteorite dealer!

From: Peter Marmet <p.marmet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:50 2004

Hi list,

last weekend I was in Liege, Belgium at the Mineral Show. Liege is a
very nice city with
very nice and friendly people - but that's not the point...

I had a very nice time there and once again I'd like to thank, Michel,
Claude and Zelimir (Gabelica) for
the fun and friendship I experienced there - but that's not the point...

I had a table there and was offering a few SA's, CD's and a few other
meteorites for sale. Despite the fact
that most people came because of minerals, a lot of them were very
intersted - but that's not the point...

I tried to do my best and was talking in French :-(( for 3 days. But
people were patient and I was quite
glad to tell them about the wonders of meteorites - but that's not the
point...

It was only the second time in my life that I was a «dealer» but I quite
liked it. So, Sunday early afternoon
about 6 or seven people were standing around my table when I noticed a
beautiful, tall young girl about 20
years of age who was patientely waiting until I stoped talking with some
other people - then she looked at me
replied, hoping she would say no, but
she said: «Yes, it's right here in my bag, actually I found two
meteorites», and she showed me two very, very obvious
pieces of slag that she had found near her house. I tried to explain -
fighting with the French language - why
this were not metorites. She was listening for a while, took the pieces,
murmering: That's ok, that's ok and -
before I could close my mouth she had disappeared in the crowd.
If this had been a old, ugly, angry guy, ok, but this..... I HATE IT
( and myself for being so dumb !!!)

Nobody warned me - so, to all newcomers in the business:
Take one of your SA's or CD's and show the difference and give her the
real one for free!!!
Like this, maybe you can win a meteorite lover instead of loosing one!

Peter Marmet, Bern