[meteorite-list] How to etch meteorites

From: ruben garcia <meteoritemall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:50 2004

Hi Mark,Rene and list..
I don't necessarily want to get into a debate as to
which is the better etching solution "nitric acid or
ferric chloride". Over that past 5 years I have and
currently use both very successfully, but there are
many variables.
1)Type of meteorite being etched
2)Process in which both are used
3)Long term care of a meteorite after etching.

In my experience I would say that when all things are
considered Nitric acid does a better overall job than
ferric chloride on such meteorites that have a
tendency to be unstable like campo or nantan.
Gibeon is another meteorite that in my opinion looks
better with a deep etch done with nitric, as ferric
chloride somehow looses something on a finer pattern.
However, properly done ferric chloride looks and
usually lasts very well on more stable meteorites with
a larger pattern such as Canyon, Odessa, and Toluca,
Henbury...etc.

As I stated earlier I use both and have for quite a
while, but I think we all agree it can take some
experimentation to get a system that works well on all
etchable iron meteorites.

Iron meteorites are after all... are..well, iron and
iron will eventually rust, regardless of the type of
etchant used, especially if not cared for properly. My
advice is to experiment and see what works for you,
after all that is half the fun. Who knows maybe you'll
discover something new that we could all learn from.

P.S.
 O Richard Norton's book " Rocks from Space" is a
great place for the beginner to learn about nitric
acid etching.

Ruben Garcia
(Mr-Meteorite on ebay)