[meteorite-list] Misleading Images, a Real Problem

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:51 2004

Dear Tom and List,

It is interesting to see how many List members showed an interest in the new
chondrite. Many asked if it was paired with other stones currently on the
market. To answer truthfully, we do not know. As we have said many times,
only a good laboratory can make this distinction. Images of cut surfaces in
reflected light are a poor way to determine pairings.

As far as picture taking goes, there is a real problem out there. The
problem is that a lot of images seen on ebay and on dealer's websites have
been manipulated to enhance the appearance. Some have been colored to make
them look fantastic. The sharpen tool has been applied to others making
chondrules look better than in real life. Others add contrast to bring out
barely visible features. Some are obvious because they use a coin in the
picture to show off the size of the specimen. Sometimes you can see that
the colors of the coin are not correct giving a clue that you are being
mislead. Others mask out the background and make the specimen look as if it
is floating in the darkness of space. This is ok if the image of the actual
meteorite has not been altered but this is usually not the case as can be
seen by the sparkling multi-rainbow colored chondrules, how stupid do these
dealers think the buyers really are?

We feel manipulating images in this way is very misleading and dishonest.
Have a look for yourselves and you will know who the culprits are, it is
fairly obvious. On the flip side, there are some excellent images out there
that are true to life. Hint, the person is sometimes seen holding the
specimen with their fingers. If the skin color of his/her fingers does not
vary from image to image you can be fairly sure the picture of the meteorite
has not been manipulated.

We are only discussing images in reflected light of specimens for sale not
SEM or thin-section images.

How many of you have received specimens that have little resemblance to the
image you used to make a purchasing decision?

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185