[meteorite-list] Telescope question-OT

From: Stan Seeberg <stan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:51 2004

Hi David and all,
     I just recently joined the meteorite list and have enjoyed astronomy
and telescopes for many years and am the telescope salesperson at Nurnberg
Scientific in Portland, Oregon. The Celestron NexStar 114GT is one very
nice telescope! The usual price for one of these is around $500.00 but in
the last few months some of the big, often warehouse-type stores have been
offering them for under $200.00, and at that price they are certainly a
bargain! These "go-to" type scopes are supplied with a 25mm and 10mm
eyepiece giving 40x and 100x and those magnifications are fine. If you
decide on getting one, just be sure that the place offering it will honor
the warranty should problems occur or find out in advance what their
particular policy is. These little scopes are a great way to get into
beginning astronomical observation, and I highly recommend this model. The
problem with these kinds of "bargain" situations is that in most cases what
is offered is a "department-store quality" telescope and these are cheaply
made and offer magnifications of 400x to over 600x and that kind of
magnification is simply worthless! First, the optical performance is poor,
and second, those magnifications are several times what the telescope should
be supplied with. When you go much over about 50x per inch of telescope
aperture, the view is dimmed to the point where you lose contrast and detail
in objects and is "empty magnification".
     If that telescope is just the way Celestron provides it, it is a great
way to go.
                         Best wishes,
                              Stan
          http://vancouversidewalkastronomers.org