[meteorite-list] Protecting Chondrites

From: E.J <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:52 2004

Hello List, Vishnu,
Some meteorites are very "friable" meaning you can crumble them with
little to moderate hand pressure. Friable meteorites are well know but
not necessarily common.

The rust marks are likely just that-- rusting iron flakes and can come
from handling and storage conditions. As I recall this arrived during a
monsoon. You might be able to arrest the rusting/lawencite disease
using the procedures for stabelizing irons but perhaps another list
member can elaborate on treating a friable stone such as Burbojle(sp)
which fell through sea ice and deeply into the underlying mud.

Elton