[meteorite-list] Noe Garza Prologue

From: Rob Wesel <nakhladog_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:52 2004

A while back I asked Noe Garza, of Park Forest fame, to do me a favor. I
asked him to write his thoughts, his memoirs for me.
Happily, he agreed.

"Sure, tell me what you want me to write"

This was the preprogrammed response Noe had been used to over the last few
months, signed affidavits, documents to authenticate his meteorite
fragments, whatever was needed to complete the transaction. He had become so
accustomed to doing this that he figured I wanted something to verify my
27.5 gram fragment.

"Well Noe, that's just it, you write whatever you want. Don't give me what I
want per se, give me what you want to be remembered from this experience. Be
candid, be blunt, but be honest"

My request came with two stipulations:
1) If he was going to do it, I wanted it to be hand written.
2) I would not sell his words and if he wanted, I would keep it to myself
alone.

Furthermore, I encouraged his son Robert and wife Paulette to add their
thoughts as well. I explained that this is why I collect. I have said it
before, I collect stories, and meteorites make for good storytelling. Fear,
wonder, opportunity, destruction, chance, humanity, science, this list goes
on.

This was a lot to ask, a big favor, but that is the kind of people the
Garza's are. People do things for each other, and profit is not always a
motive.

Earlier this week it arrived, seven glorious handwritten pages, and a signed
cover sheet affidavit (a leopard can't change all of his spots).

With Noe's permission I now send his words along. They were freely given to
me, I freely give them to you, but they are for personal use or UNADVERTISED
freebies as you see fit. They are not to be used in conjunction with any
sale in which their inclusion is a part of the package. I will be both upset
and disenchanted if the Garza's intent is exploited, and the list will hear
of it.

That bit of ugliness said.......

Rob Wesel