[meteorite-list] Puturano

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:53 2004

--------------030007090903050705080200

Hello, Tim and the list,

there are also some other natural terrestial metallic FeNi:s known, but
they are
very rare. As far as I know, the formation of Putorano and others are
still an
open question, several theories exist, but nothing sure.

When Putorano was found, it was quite a long kept as a mesosiderite, and
it still is
one of the best meteorwrongs known. Without a closer examination in a
lab you
canīt say, is it terrestial or not.

In my opinion, you may have bigger possibilities to have a mesosiderite
than a natural
metallic iron with nickel, so it may be wise to have the specimen for
the closer look
to a lab, just to check, if it is terrestial origin or not.

And we should remember, it could also be just some man-made material,
but hope not.

This sounds interresting, keep us updated...;-

take care,

pekka s

Timothy Finkle wrote:

> Hi List,
>

> Does anybody have any information on Puturanos? I have a specimen a
> gentlemen sent me for a simple anaylsis and it's passed the primary
> tests of Magnetisim & Nickel content.(What now?) Jugding from it's
> apperance it looks exacelty like a Puturano, but not from Russia. This
> sample comes from Imperial , Tx up near Dallas. Geologicaly
> speaking was this area volcanic in prehistoric times? Not much in the
> way of mountains, the area is a vast prairie with rolling hills and
> meadows currently. The gentlemen found all the material (about 1
> lb) in one specific location. Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks, Tim

> Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/slv/mailtag/*http://companion.yahoo.com/>

--------------030007090903050705080200

<head>
</head>
Hello, Tim and the list,<br>
there are also some other natural terrestial metallic FeNi:s known, but they
are <br>
very rare. As far as I know, the formation of Putorano and others are still
an <br>
open question, several theories exist, but nothing sure.<br>
When Putorano was found, it was quite a long kept as a mesosiderite, and
it still is<br>
one of the best meteorwrongs known. Without a closer examination in a lab
you<br>
can&acute;t say, is it terrestial or not.<br>
In my opinion, you may have bigger possibilities to have a mesosiderite than
a natural<br>
metallic iron with nickel, so it may be wise to have the specimen for the
closer look<br>
to a lab,&nbsp; just to check, if it is terrestial origin or not.<br>
And we should remember, it could also be just some man-made material, but
hope not. <br>
This sounds interresting, keep us updated...;-<br>
take care,<br>
pekka s<br>
Timothy Finkle wrote:<br>
a gentlemen sent me&nbsp;for a simple&nbsp;anaylsis&nbsp;and it's passed the primary tests
of Magnetisim &amp; Nickel content.(What now?) Jugding from it's apperance
it looks exacelty like a Puturano, but not from Russia. This sample comes
from Imperial , Tx up near Dallas. Geologicaly speaking&nbsp;was this area volcanic
in prehistoric times? Not much in the way of mountains, the area is a vast
prairie with rolling hills and meadows currently. The gentlemen found all
the material (about 1 lb)&nbsp;in one specific location.&nbsp;Any suggestions?</div>
  <hr size="1"> Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now</a>