[meteorite-list] Large Meteorite Found In Sweden

From: (wrong string) ørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:19 2004

At 08:25 30.09.03 -0700, you wrote:

>http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1423490,00.html
>
>Sweden's big find
>news24.com
>September 30, 2003
>
>Sweden - Swedish researchers said on Tuesday that they've dug up the biggest
>meteorite ever found in the country.
>
>It took two days to unearth the 158kg meteorite, one of only nine found in
>the Scandinavian country of 9 million in the last 100 years.

This is not correct. The correct figures are:
There are 15 different falls represented in Sweden. 9 (nine) of them
are observed falls, which give 6 finds.
'Muonionalusta' in Norbotten is a find, probably fell during the Ice Ages,
about 800 000 years old on this planet.

Btw, it is also the biggest when compared to Norway, where the largest
is the 78 kg 'Finmarken' (or rather 'Alta') pallasite.
I don't have an overview of Denmark, in Finland 'Bjurbøle' is bigger, about
350 kg, I know.

Regards,
Bjørn Sørheim