[meteorite-list] October's fireballs

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:19 2004

We are approaching a very important date in meteorite
recovery.

OCTOBER 3rd.

Many fireballs have been reported near this date in
history.

The 1996 OCT 3rd fireball in California that might
have fallen east of Little Lake is one to consider.

It most likely fell on China Lake military
reservation, nothing from it has been recovered, but
from my investigations at site then, and speaking to
eyewitnesses, I am convinced that fragments did fall
on China Lake.

Lots of fireballs have been seen a few days before and
after this date.

Here are two of the rarest meteorites known that fell
on OCT 3rd.

Chassigny, Oct. 3rd 1815

and

Zagami Oct. 3rd, 1962

Of the four Martian meteorites seen to fall two fell
on that day.

These are among the rarest of meteorites, and two of
the four with exact dates of fall, fell on the same
day?

Coincedence?

Maybe...

But I think the odds are against it.

Oct. 3rd, might just be a day that we should look up.

Mars may be closer to us than we think on that day.

Steve Schoner/ams