[meteorite-list] October's fireballs

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:19 2004

Hi Steve and List,

> Lots of fireballs have been seen a few days before and after this date.
> Here are two of the rarest meteorites known that fell on OCT 3rd.
> Chassigny, Oct. 3rd 1815 and Zagami Oct. 3rd, 1962. Of the four
> Martian meteorites seen to fall two fell on that day. These are among
> the rarest of meteorites, and two of the four with exact dates of fall, fell
> on the same day? Coincidence? Maybe... But I think the odds are against it.

For those who'd like to dig deeper into this "coincidence",
see these two articles by list member Alan Treiman:

TREIMAN A.H. (1993) An improbable concentration of basaltic meteorite falls
(HED and MES) in the mid-20th century (Meteoritics 28-2, 1993, 246-252).

TREIMAN A.H. (1992) Fall days of the SNC meteorites: Evidence for an SNC
meteoroid stream, and a common site of origin (Meteoritics 27-1, 1992, 93-95).

To: steve_schoner_at_yahoo.com
    meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com