[meteorite-list] Large Meteorite Found In Sweden

From: (wrong string) ørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:19 2004

Hello Pekka & List,
16??, Which one is the 16th, has there been one in the last years -
after Osterplana(1987) that is?
The last version of the Catalogue of Meteorites (2000) says there
are 15 meteorites found in total in Sweden (finds or falls), so does
the CD version (when choosing 'Valid' finds). When not choosing
'Valid' you get 19 items, the additional 4 are hoaxes, pseudometeorites etc.

When you first posted about this new 158 kg find you cited the URL:
http://www.kuriren.nu/default.asp?TargetForm=/utmatningssidan.asp&ArticleID=
354789&CategoryID=2764&ArticleStateID=2&ClientID=0
In this swedish newspaper article you find this statement (swedish again):
'Det tilhor ovanligheterna med meteoritfynd i Sverige. Sedan 1800-talets
borjan har bara nio stycken hittas'.
In English this translates to:
'Findings of meteorites belongs to the unusual in Sweden. Since the start
of the 1800s only nine meteorites have been found'.
This is for sure flatly wrong! The correct number is 15, or 16 if you have
a new one not in the records of the Catalogue.

How this South African(?) news site:
http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1423490,00.html
managed to turn this into the following:
'It took two days to unearth the 158kg meteorite, one of only nine found in
the Scandinavian country of 9 million in the last 100 years',
I do not know - but it is also wrong, since 1903 there have been recorded
12 new finds/falls in Sweden. Or 11 if 'Ultuna' is paired with Hessle,
or possible 13 if you know a new one not recorded and no pairings...

A complete list with years follow:
1. Hessle 1869
2. Ställdalen 1876
3. Lundsgård 1889
4. Hedeskoga 1922
5. Lillaverke 1930
6. Ekeby 1939
7. Hallingeberg 1944
8. Långhalsen 1947
9. Hökmark 1954
10. Näs (1907)
11. Ultuna (1944)
Irons
12. Muonionalusta (1906)
13. Föllinge (1932)
Fossile stony meteorites
14. Brunflo (1980 - recognized)
15. Österplana (1987)

Those in parantheses are finds.

Still on the subject of nitpicking, concerning the TKW of
'Bjurbøle', it was known that the workers from Borgå/Porvoo
did put a lot of fragments of this crumbling meteorite found
below the sea-ice in their pockets while recovering it...!
This according to the oldest articles about the find.
So the total TRUE weight is probably more like 350-400 kg, than
what is officially recorded as TKW.

Regards,
Bjørn Sørheim,
in Norway