Fw: [meteorite-list] Meteorites in limestone

From: Robert Szep <zeprox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:19 2004

Hmmm... Judging by the responses to this topic, Meteorites in Limestone,
roundish metallic things found in limestone and other sedimentary rock is
not extremely uncommon but worthy of further investigation. Especially when
found in layers or deposits corresponding with certain known time periods.

Yes, a simple nickel-test would obviously be a good first step to take in
determining what some of our tiny discoveries may or may not be. A test for
the presence of Iridium would be the next logical step but that is not as
easily accomplished.

In anycase, I should point out that the metal nodules I
referred to finding are not concretions. I've seen them and owned them from
up around here, from the East coast, and from various U.S. arid regions.

I stumbled upon the material in question while doing some casual fossil
hunting. Yes, there were a couple of small fossil clams in the out-crop I
was chipping-away-at and no they were not Pyritized...

No other known non-man-made-metal anywhere in any direction for atleast 75
miles.

The area I refer to is also a very similar geologic setting to the area in
which the
meteorites in limestone were found in, in Sweeden.

What I considered to be the real eye-opening statistics regarding the
Sweedish findings was the the number of real, genuine meteorites recovered
from a very low number of cubic feet of limestone-host-rock.

It would have been dilligent of the researchers to mention the number of
meteor-wrongs that turned-up in that same volume of host-rock.

I too do not get excited about finding iron-nodules, meteorites on the other
hand...
different story.

Robert Szep.