[meteorite-list] About the swedish fossile-meteorites (from the news-group archives 1997)

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:19 2004

--------------040400000000030804010507

Some older (1997) from the news-groups.

pekka s

From: Keith Littleton
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=author:littlejo%40vnet.net+>
(littlejo_at_vnet.net <mailto:littlejo%40vnet.net> )
Subject: Re: News; 17 fossil meteorites in Sweden

Newsgroups: talk.origins
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=talk.origins>
Date: 1997/10/11

In Message-Id: <6132el$rhd$1_at_orthanc.reference.com>
david.hultgren_at_ffvaerotech.ffv.se wrote:

>Just heard on the news that a researchteam from the
>university of Gvteborg found 17 meteorites buried
>480 million years ago at kinekulle in Sweden.
>It was mentioned at the newsprogram "Dagens Eko"
>by Birger Schmitz from the researchteam.

Apparently people have been finding all sorts of
meteorites in Ordovician limestones of Sweden.
For example, in the October 3, 1997 issue of
of "Science," there is:

Schmitz, B. Peucker-Ehrenbrink, Lindstrom, M.,
and Tassinari, M. (1997) Accretion Rates of Meteorites
andCosmic Dust in the Early Ordovician. Science
volume 278, number 5335, pp. 88-90.

The abstract begins, "Abundant fossil meteorites in
marine, condensed Lower Ordovician limestones..."

Other instances of fossil meteorites are discussed in
Hansen and Berstrom (1997). They note that the first of
the specimens was a 4-inch in diameter meteorite discovered
middle Ordovician Limestone in 1951. It was not
described until 1981 by Thorslund and Wickman (1981).
In 1988, another swedish meteorite, called "Osterplana 1,"
was discovered in Lower Ordovician Limestone about
5 million years older and 300 miles away from the first
(Hansen and Berstrom 1997, pp. 1).

Twelve more meteorites have been found at the Thorsberg
Limestone Quarry. Hansen and Berstrom (1997, pp. 3) state:

  "A 10-foot-thick section of the Holen ("Orthoceratite")
   Limestone, of Early Middle Ordovician age, is extracted
   at the Thorsberg quarry and sawed into thin slabs that
   are used for windowsills and floor tile. Quarry workers
   discarded slabs with impurities, such as the meteorites,
   until Professor Maurits Lindstrom of the University of
   Stockholm alerted them to save such slabs. The 12
   specimens were recovered between 1992 and 1996. Ten of
   the specimens were recovered from a 2-foot-thick bed of
   limestone and may represent a single meteorite fall. The
   other three specimens were recovered from two separate
   levels above this layer. Seven of the specimens, collected
   between 1993 ant 1996, are from a quarried limestone
   volume of no more than about 127,000 cubic feet. Most
   of the specimens are now on display at the Stiftelsen Paleo
   Geology Center in Lidkoping, Sweden.

   The Thorsberg quarry meteorites range in size from about
   0.5 to 3.5 inches in diameter and have been almost
   completely replaced (pseudomorphosed) by calcite and
   barite. The dark, reddish brown meteorite masses look
   like iron nodules surrounded by a zone of lighter colored
   limestone and would be mistaken by many people for
   common sedimentary features. However, they contain
   grains of chromite and have a high iridium content,
   among other confirming characteristics of extraterrestrial
   origin."

Reference Cited

Hasen, M. C., and Bergstrom, S. M.. 1997, Ancient
meteorites. Ohio Geology, Spring 1997.

Further Readings from Hansen and Berstrom (1997) about
the Swedish meteorites.

Nystrom, J. O., and Wickman, F. E. (1991) The Ordovician
      chondrite from Brunflo, central Sweden; II, Secondary
      minerals. Lithos. volume 27, number 3, pp. 167-185.

Nystrom, J. O., Lindstrom, M., and Wickman, F. E.,
      (1988) Discovery of a second Ordovician meteorite
      using chromite as a tracer. Nature. volume 336,
      pp. 572-574.

Schmitz, B., Lindstrom, M., Asaro, F., and Tassinari, M.,
      (1996) Geochemistry of meteorite-rich marine limestone
      strata and fossil meteorites from the Lower Ordovician
      at Kinnekulle, Sweden. Earth and Planetary Science
      Letters. volume 145, pp. 31-48.

Thorslund, Per, and Wickman, F. E. (1981) Middle
      Ordovician chondrite in fossiliferous limestone from
      Brunflo, central Sweden. Nature. volume 289,
      pp. 285-286.

Thorslund, Per., Wickman, F. E., and Nystrom, J. O.
      (1984) The Ordovician chondrite from Brunflo, central
      Sweden, I. General description and primary minerals.
      Lithos. volume 17, pp. 87-100.

++ Many Other Meteorites ++

For many more cases of meteorites, see,
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/dave_matson/

And go to "Library: Modern Documents: Dave Matson: Young
Earth: Specific Arguments: Meteor" at:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/dave_matson/young-earth
/specific_arguments/meteor.html

Dave Matson at the above URL wrote:

   "After reviewing such difficulties, geologist Davis
   Young (1988, p.127) tells us that, 'The chances of
   finding a fossil meteorite in sedimentary rocks are
   remote. It is not to be expected.' G. J. McCall, in
   Meteorites and Their Origins (1973, p.270), said, 'The
   lack of fossil record of true meteorites is puzzling, but
   can be explained by the lack of very diagnostic shapes
   and the chemical nature of meteorites, which allows
   rapid decay...'

   It may surprise you, therefore, to hear that we do
   have such a find! Two Swedish scientists made the
   first positive identification of a fossilized stoney
   meteorite (Astronomy, June 1981). Per Thorslund and
   Frans Wickman reported in Nature that a 10 centimeter
   object found in a limestone slab from a quarry in Brunflo,
   central Sweden in 1952 is really a stoney meteorite
   as demonstrated by microscopic examinations and other
   properties. It has a terrestrial age of about 463 million
   years. The object had until recently been mistaken for
   something else. If the odds were not bent enough,
   it appears that the meteorite hit an Ordovician mollusk
   which is fossilized in conjunction with the meteorite!
   (Spratt and Stephens, 1992, p.53)

   In 1930 a fist-sized piece of nickel-iron was said to
   have been recovered from a bore hole at a depth of 1,525
   feet, from the Eocene. This 'Zapata County' Texas iron
   has since been lost (Nature, January 22, 1981).

   Fritz Heide mentioned that 'The iron of Sardis, Burke
   County, Georgia, was found in 1940, in strata believed
   to be of Middle Miocene age.' (Heide,1964, pp.118-119.)

   We may conclude, therefore, that it is not true that fossil
   meteorites don't exist in the geologic record. However,
   recovering and identifying them is extremely rare."

Walt Brown, who claims that fossil meteorites never are
found, apparently doesn't know what he is talking about. :-)

Sincerely,
Keith Littleton
littlejo_at_vnet.net
New Orleans, LA

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
From: <a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;q=author:littlejo%40vnet.net+">
Keith Littleton</a>
 (<a href="mailto:littlejo%40vnet.net">littlejo_at_vnet.net</a>
)<br>
Subject: Re: News; 17 fossil meteorites in Sweden <br>
  <tbody>
  </tbody>
talk.origins</a>
Date: 1997/10/11 <br>
<pre>In Message-Id:   <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:6132el$rhd$1_at_orthanc.reference.com">&lt;6132el$rhd$1@orthanc.reference.com&gt;</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:david.hultgren_at_ffvaerotech.ffv.se">david.hultgren@ffvaerotech.ffv.se</a> wrote:
&gt;university of Gvteborg found 17 meteorites buried
&gt;480 million years ago at kinekulle in Sweden.
&gt;It was mentioned at the newsprogram "Dagens Eko"
&gt;by Birger Schmitz from the researchteam.</font>
[...]

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:littlejo_at_vnet.net">littlejo@vnet.net</a>
New Orleans, LA</pre>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND