[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorites in limestone

From: Robert Szep <zeprox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:20 2004

Hi E.J. and list.

Yes the piece in question did stick to magnet. I tried that on it years ago.
I didn't keep any of the host-rock but it was limestone - for sure. A huge
deposit too.
No contact zone with Granite for around 75 miles...

The biggest piece I recovered was the size and shape of a slightly flattened
jelly-bean.

The nodule was smooth, not an accretion or concretion.
Very minor oxidation. No shale. Not a 'soft' metal...

It would be easier, faster, and more fun to just go back to the spot and
chip out a couple of new samples than it would be for me to re-find the
specimen that is here in a box of rocks amidst many other boxes of rocks.

Might go hunting for some new samples this weekend.
Will let you know if anything interesting turns-up.

   Szep, over & out...