[meteorite-list] Re: APOD Picture of Wales Fireball

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:20 2004

It is also very instructive to compare this Wales picture with that of the
sunlit dustcloud (not persistent train!) left by the big mag. -21.5 El Paso
bolide of 9 Oct 1997. You can find it in:

A.R. Hildebrandt et al., The El Paso superbolide of October 9, 1997, Lun.
Plan. Sci. 30 (1999).

...which is online available as pdf throught the NASA Astrophysics Data
System.

The El Paso picture is an enhanced video frame taken *about 2 minutes after*
the bolide. When you convert the negative image in the paper to a positive,
the result is actually not too much different from what is visible in the
lower part of the Wales picture: a kind of billowing glowing cloud.

What worries me however is that there are no other reports of this Wales
event, which would also be suspected to produce sonic booms (as the El Paso
event did).

- Marco Langbroek