[meteorite-list] Re: Images of UK contrail (not fireball)

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:21 2004

> I'm leaning toward backlit aircraft contrail for three reasons --
> the first of which has been mentioned, but the other two have not

I fully agree with everything what Rob writes. Indeed, it was the long,
narrow, only very slightly S-curved aspect of the trail on the second
picture
that made me remove all doubt that this is a contrail, as Neil Bone
surmissed. And be honest, it really looks like that, except for the odd glow
at the end, for which however there are perfectly liable explanations. And
please: the glowing cloud at the end of the trail really does NOT look like
a meteoric fireball. I've seen many meteoric fireballs myself, so I am quite
sure of that.

The second point, as well articulated by Rob Matson is that this phenomena
was not widely (that is: nation wide) reported, as it should be would it be
a meteoric fireball.
The second picture was taken from a place not too far away from the first.
The whole thing is in essence "local".

So I don't think there's a meteorite gone to the bottom of the ocean.

- Marco

------
Marco Langbroek
Leiden, the Netherlands