[meteorite-list] Junk in, Junk out, or "No-named Orphan Step Children need love too"

From: Thomas Webb <webbth1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:21 2004

--0-1318569802-1065294775=:85553

Hi Dave and others,
This is neither here nor there but have any of you checked the price of antique marbles lately?!
My opinion is that all meteorites (and marbles) have some value, some more than others of course. Many of the same factors enter into it such as rarity, quality, color, etc. I like my small slice of Governador Valadares but visually and esthetically my NWA 869 slices are standouts! I also like some of the rare sulphide marbles but really not as much as the old "aggie" I used for a shooter as a boy. No one would give me a dollar for it, but to me it has much value.
So, let's treat all meteorites with the respect due them and most importantly, each other.
I don't think the new member, Bernd, really meant to convey what came across to some list members, but the fact that it did, along with this apology and clarification is an example of how this list can work for the good of all.
Dave, thanks for your post.
My best,
Thomas

David Freeman <dfreeman_at_fascination.com> wrote:
Dear List, Bernd, Dean Bessy;
I feel the need to apologize for offering to another "collector" the
option of purchasing marbles as an alternative to buying even lessor
lessor-priced meteorites. I was wrong...at least in the eyes of one
(myself), well, maybe two.
I seemed to feel that another list respondents use of the words
"cheap" and "junk" in referring to NWA's and his asking for what seemed
to be an offer to purchase/offer "nothing" for "something" was a low
blow to the meteorite hunters and collectors of the world. If NWA's are
continually looked upon by some as nothing less than clutter, why do so
many in the hot deserts even go out to search? We have been blessed as
collectors to have been provided with this abundance to our hobby and
business. This attitude of "junk" and "cheap" is a blight to our love
of ALL meteorites, regardless of origin or pedigree status. I see the
term "inexpensively priced", or even "affordable run of the mill
meteorites" as not nearly as degrading.
Is it the meteorite's choice in falling to hot sands or on a southern
polar ice cap? What meteorite would wish to impact a car, or even a
house so it could be cherished more? Bah! If any meteorite is not worth
it's value, then why ask for any value at all? I too love yard sales but
would not insult a proprietor by offering to take something of value for
nothing.

I have, once coined the phrase "no-named orphan step child" in
reference to unclassified NWA's. At one time, I even publicly endorsed
a self ban on purchasing any meteorite with out a real home until more
field data could have the opportunity to be collected. Even stray
puppies need love and sustenance. The seemingly (and not true)
perception of the abundant / infinite NWA's with (dirt) "cheap" and
"junk" associations is not reality, and that perception is, and
continues to be, further pain in many circles. One day, in the future,
those with a sence of humor will muse at this time and hopefully have
pause for a chuckle (if they had purchased at fair value those no-named
orphan step children, reasonable and affordably priced stellar visitors
of the hot sand deserts). Indeed, some NWA's come in a number of
packages, some being under the value added title of "Lunar" and
"Martian" meteorites.
I would ask of those who would like to aquire NWA's and other hot
desert meteorites with less than debutante status to refrain from asking
dealers publicly to supply them with a source for "cheap" and "junk"
anything, especially meteorites, despite their status...or in this case,
lack of.

Junk in, junk out

I still do feel that those wanting to get "cheap" or "junk" anything
should alter their direction to collecting marbles as they have in my
opinion, lost a few of their own somewhere along the way.
A buyers willingness to actively participate in an honest and fair value
market exchange directly reflects up on that persons integrity in any
proposed transaction.
Not only does the seller know the value of his wares but the reverse is
true also, the buyer knows the value of what he wishes to purchase.

Sincerely,
Dave Freeman

--0-1318569802-1065294775=:85553

<DIV>Hi Dave and others,</DIV>
<DIV>This is neither here nor there but have any of you checked the price of antique marbles lately?!&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>My opinion is that all meteorites (and marbles) have some value, some more than others of course.&nbsp; Many of the same factors enter into it such as rarity, quality, color, etc.&nbsp; I like my small slice of Governador Valadares but visually and esthetically&nbsp;my NWA 869 slices are&nbsp;&nbsp;standouts!&nbsp; I also like some of the rare sulphide marbles but really not as much as the old "aggie" I used&nbsp;for a shooter as a boy.&nbsp; No one would&nbsp;give me a dollar for it,&nbsp;but to me it has much value.</DIV>
<DIV>So, let's treat all meteorites with the respect due them and most importantly, each other.</DIV>
<DIV>I don't think the new member, Bernd, really meant to convey what came across to some list members, but the fact that it did, along with this apology and clarification is an example of how this list can work for the good of all.</DIV>
<DIV>Dave, thanks for your post.</DIV>
<DIV>My best,</DIV>
<DIV>Thomas</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>David Freeman &lt;dfreeman_at_fascination.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Dear List, Bernd, Dean Bessy;<BR>I feel the need to apologize for offering to another "collector" the <BR>option of purchasing marbles as an alternative to buying even lessor <BR>lessor-priced meteorites. I was wrong...at least in the eyes of one <BR>(myself), well, maybe two.<BR>I seemed to feel that another list respondents use of the words <BR>"cheap" and "junk" in referring to NWA's and his asking for what seemed <BR>to be an offer to purchase/offer "nothing" for "something" was a low <BR>blow to the meteorite hunters and collectors of the world. If NWA's are <BR>continually looked upon by some as nothing less than clutter, why do so <BR>many in the hot deserts even go out to search? We have been blessed as <BR>collectors to have been provided with this abundance to our hobby and <BR>business. This attitude of "junk" and "cheap" is a blight to our love <BR>of ALL meteorites,
 regardless of origin or pedigree status. I see the <BR>term "inexpensively priced", or even "affordable run of the mill <BR>meteorites" as not nearly as degrading.<BR>Is it the meteorite's choice in falling to hot sands or on a southern <BR>polar ice cap? What meteorite would wish to impact a car, or even a <BR>house so it could be cherished more? Bah! If any meteorite is not worth <BR>it's value, then why ask for any value at all? I too love yard sales but <BR>would not insult a proprietor by offering to take something of value for <BR>nothing.<BR><BR>I have, once coined the phrase "no-named orphan step child" in <BR>reference to unclassified NWA's. At one time, I even publicly endorsed <BR>a self ban on purchasing any meteorite with out a real home until more <BR>field data could have the opportunity to be collected. Even stray <BR>puppies need love and sustenance. The seemingly (and not true) <BR>perception of the abundant / infinite NWA's with (dirt) "cheap" and <BR>"junk"
 associations is not reality, and that perception is, and <BR>continues to be, further pain in many circles. One day, in the future, <BR>those with a sence of humor will muse at this time and hopefully have <BR>pause for a chuckle (if they had purchased at fair value those no-named <BR>orphan step children, reasonable and affordably priced stellar visitors <BR>of the hot sand deserts). Indeed, some NWA's come in a number of <BR>packages, some being under the value added title of "Lunar" and <BR>"Martian" meteorites. <BR>I would ask of those who would like to aquire NWA's and other hot <BR>desert meteorites with less than debutante status to refrain from asking <BR>dealers publicly to supply them with a source for "cheap" and "junk" <BR>anything, especially meteorites, despite their status...or in this case, <BR>lack of.<BR><BR>Junk in, junk out<BR><BR>I still do feel that those wanting to get "cheap" or "junk" anything <BR>should alter their direction to collecting marbles as they
 have in my <BR>opinion, lost a few of their own somewhere along the way.<BR>A buyers willingness to actively participate in an honest and fair value <BR>market exchange directly reflects up on that persons integrity in any <BR>proposed transaction.<BR>Not only does the seller know the value of his wares but the reverse is <BR>true also, the buyer knows the value of what he wishes to purchase.<BR><BR>Sincerely,<BR>Dave Freeman<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>______________________________________________<BR>Meteorite-list mailing list<BR>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com<BR>http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1318569802-1065294775=:85553--