[meteorite-list] Fw: Fuel dumping aircraft & Wales

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:22 2004

This (below forward) comes through Ed Majden from the meteorobs mailing
list. It confirms that igniting fuel trails by jet fighters is something
which is done on occasion.

With Robs work on the trail orientations where his results show that it is
compatable with a horizontal trail and my arguments as pointed out earlier
this simply shows that a meteor is not the only option, and certainly not a
likely option indeed as much can be brought in against it, while little or
next to nothing can be brought in against the contrail hypothesis. The fact
that the trail is dark for the large part rules out a high altitude
phenomena - and Rob now showed it might very well be horizontal too. So: low
altitude horizontal scores a 1, high altitude angled scores a nil.

- Marco

PS: Rob, apparently messages send by me directly to you mail address do not
come through. Thanks for pointing out my thought mistake in the ruler
experiment, I had noted it myself too after given it some thought over
again.