[meteorite-list] Oh, Calcutta

From: MARSROX_at_aol.com <MARSROX_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:23 2004

-------------------------------1065622542

Dear fellow travelers,

I've been to Calcutta twice on my trips to Nepal and since there seems to be
some interest in the city I'll contribute a few written snapshots. Mike's a
lucky guy to be there.

Mike has already noted the flooded streets. Like many Asian cities that are
at or a few meters above sea level, the streets flood after almost any rain.
And it is still monsoon season in India. They have sewers, but the volume of
water overwhelms the capacity. You walk around in ankle deep water, the water is
mixing with a fetid soup of human and animal (think free ranging cows in the
city of Calcutta) "stuff." To make the act of walking more challenging, some of
the manhole covers have been stolen to sell the metal to recyclers and every
now and then someone falls into "The Black Hole of Calcutta." The natives
definitely have "home court advantage" as they would know where the missing covers
are.

Watch your step, Mike.

To Westerners, accustomed to their "space," the density of humanity is off
the scale. Think of New Year's Eve at Times Square combined with New Orleans
Mardi Gras Final Night, and add extreme heat and humidity to rotting garbage and
other "exotic" odors. You are constantly jostled, constantly rubbing elbows
and knees. And it's a bustling city, people are moving fast.

The sense of poverty, again by western standards, is overwhelming. At night,
people lay out a slice of cardboard onto the sidewalk, reserving their space,
and camp out. A measurable percentage of the population has never tasted an
ice cube - too expensive. The water vendors sell a common glass of "room
temperature" water for a rupee. A family will survive on less than $1/day.

Hand pulled rickshaws compete with taxis. Buses and trains go everywhere,
heavy fumes, so crowded that people hang on such that they are outside or riding
the roof. There's competition to give you a massage in every city park.

Of course, things are changing, getting better. A middle-class has evolved,
cell phones are everywhere. Employment is growing with the tech-based economy.
There are "good neighborhoods," a few Mercedes. And people like to burn
incense, how bad can it be?

Calcutta is hardly the "worst" city in the world, (my vote for that today is
Kabul) since the crowded masses and visitors have spectacular museums
(Calcutta's National Museum has a huge meteorite collection), archeological splendors,
gold-leaf covered Hindu temples, and delicious curries to sample. Most
business people speak English. Signs and menus are also in English.

Were I Mike, I'd spend a couple of days being a tourist in Calcutta on the
way home, immersing myself in the culture, checking out the good (see the
meteorites-including the main mass of Shergotty, 3.6 kgs.), and pondering the
relativeness of human existence.

Om padre hum,

Kevin Kichinka

-------------------------------1065622542

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Dear fellow travelers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I've been to Calcutta twice&nbsp;on my&nbsp;trips to&nbsp;Nepal and sin=
ce there seems to be some interest in the city I'll contribute a few written=
 snapshots. Mike's a lucky guy to be there.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mike has already noted the flooded streets. Like many Asian cities that=
 are at or a few meters above sea level, the streets flood after almost any=20=
rain. And it is still monsoon season in India. They have sewers, but the vol=
ume of water overwhelms the capacity. You walk around in ankle deep water, t=
he water is mixing with a fetid soup of human and animal (think free ranging=
 cows in the city of Calcutta) "stuff." To make the act of walking more chal=
lenging, some of the manhole covers have been stolen to sell the metal to re=
cyclers and every now and then someone falls into "The Black Hole of Calcutt=
a." The natives definitely have "home court advantage" as they would know wh=
ere the missing covers are.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Watch your step, Mike.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>To Westerners, accustomed to their "space," the density of humanity is=20=
off the scale. Think of New Year's Eve at Times Square combined with &nbsp;N=
ew Orleans Mardi Gras Final Night, and add extreme heat and humidity to rott=
ing garbage and other "exotic" odors. You are constantly jostled, constantly=
 rubbing elbows and knees. And it's a bustling city, people are moving fast.=
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The sense of poverty, again by western standards, is overwhelming.&nbsp=
;At night, people lay out a slice of cardboard onto the sidewalk, reserving=20=
their space,&nbsp;and camp out.&nbsp;A measurable percentage of the populati=
on has never tasted an ice cube - too expensive. The water vendors sell a co=
mmon glass of "room temperature" water for a rupee. &nbsp;A family will&nbsp=
;survive on less than $1/day. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hand pulled rickshaws compete with taxis. Buses and trains go everywher=
e, heavy fumes, so crowded that people hang on such that they are outside or=
 riding the roof. There's competition to give you a massage in every city pa=
rk.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Of course, things are changing, getting better. A middle-class has evol=
ved, cell phones are everywhere. Employment is growing with the tech-based e=
conomy. There are "good neighborhoods,"&nbsp;a few Mercedes. And people like=
 to burn incense, how bad can it be?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Calcutta is&nbsp;hardly the "worst" city in the world, (my vote for tha=
t today is Kabul) since the crowded masses and visitors&nbsp;have&nbsp;spect=
acular museums (Calcutta's National Museum has a huge meteorite collection),=
 archeological splendors, gold-leaf covered Hindu temples, and&nbsp;deliciou=
s&nbsp;curries to sample.&nbsp;Most business people speak English. Signs and=
 menus are also in English.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Were I Mike, I'd spend a couple of days being a tourist in Calcutta on=20=
the way home, immersing myself in the culture, checking out the good (see th=
e meteorites-including the main mass of Shergotty, 3.6 kgs.), and pondering&=
nbsp;the relativeness of human existence.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Om padre hum,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kevin Kichinka&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>