[meteorite-list] New Orleans strike...

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:23 2004

Hi,=0D
Just wondered if anyone has any of the 23rd Sept New Orleans strike?=0D
=0D
Because amazingly enough I have!!=0D
=0D
I have a friend in NO and he recovered some samples from the gutters usin=
g a
large magnet. He is a professional geologist at the local uni and has ve=
ry
kindly sent me a mm-sized fragment that he recovered legitimately! He
hasalso supplied an initial analysis, and he says:=0D
=0D
"I got the first batch of data, high Mg-olivine, 32-44 % MgO, 11-16 % FeO=
,
plus 0.5 % MnO! Rather surprising, a bit high for a meteorite. The
pyroxenes are diopsidic to hgh Mg-pigeonitic. And the plagioclases are
surprisingly Na-rich for a meteorite, over 8% Na2O. A weird meteorite"=0D
=0D
Maybe someone can advise me as to the nearest equivalent fall by looking =
at
this profile.=0D
=0D
I am rather proud of it and feel the overwhelming urge to boast about it,=
 as
there is very little in my collection to impress!=0D
=0D
=0D
Share in my joy please!=0D
=0D