[meteorite-list] Space Subcommittee Approves Pete Conrad Astronomy Awards Act

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:23 2004

http://www.house.gov/science/press/108/108-121.htm

Committee on Science Press Contacts:
SHERWOOD BOEHLERT, CHAIRMAN Heidi Mohlman Tringe
Ralph M. Hall, Texas, Ranking Democrat Jeff Donald
                                          (202) 225-4275

SPACE SUBCOMMITTEE APPROVES FOUR BILLS

WASHINGTON, D.C., October 8, 2003 - The House Science Subcommittee on
Space and Aeronautics today approved four bills by voice vote, listed
below.

[snip]

H.R. 912, "Charles `Pete' Conrad Astronomy Awards Act," sponsored by Rep.
Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA)

The Charles "Pete" Conrad Astronomy Awards Act, named for the third man to
walk on the moon, establishes awards to encourage amateur astronomers to
discover and track asteroids crossing in a near-Earth orbit. Earth has
experienced several near-misses with asteroids that would have proven
catastrophic, and the scientific community relies heavily on amateur
astronomers to discover and track these objects. The bill authorizes
$10,000 for each of fiscal years 2004 and 2005 for NASA to administer the
program. The House approved the bill by voice vote last year.

"Pete Conrad was a pilot, explorer, and entrepreneur of the highest
caliber. I think it is fitting that we honor Pete Conrad by establishing
this award to encourage amateur astronomers and private citizens to keep
looking up and out into the future," said Rohrabacher.

[snip]

###