[meteorite-list] India, new message

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:25 2004

Mike,

It is great to see that you have an altruistic side. You are well suited
for your "job" since you love to meet new peoples.

I have been in India twice this year and fully understand what you mean by
the sights and sounds and smells. I can also relate to the children.

During my trips I toured a few Bangladeshi camps outside of Delhi. I too
have never seen such poverty. Even the people living in tin shacks with 10
children in El Salvador seem rich compared to these folks. What surprised
me during my tours was how friendly the people are. The children come and
stare and some want to play. Many adults are always willing to give a warm
smile. In the slums I was not accosted by beggars and it was here that I
gave most often in order to help. In the cities, where there are many
tourists, it is difficult to stand anywhere and not be swarmed by a dozen or
so beggars. The truly sad part is that these groups are controlled by local
thieves and they must give the majority of what they beg to the local crime
boss. This may not be universal throughout India but it is common.

There is a spirituality in India that helps to transcend the poverty and
hard conditions. The people are truely lovely and it is an eye-opening
experience to visit. Best time is to go during the Holi festival in May
before the heat waves come and then the monsoons. A visit to India (not
just at the resorts) will give a westerner a much better perspective on what
is going on in the world and how spoiled we really are.

Can't wait to see some of your pictures Mike.

Cheers,

tett
Owen Sound, Ontario