[meteorite-list] Urucau NaOH etched) & Breaking the "Spell"

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:26 2004

--0-2047704761-1065977958=:8446

In an attempt to break the spell of dispute that is running rampant through this list I post the following pictures.

They show what happens to a Uruacu iron that was nitrol etched, then again etched in NaOH for the anti-rusting treatment.

What is amazing is that the NaOH etches the sulfides in this meteorite to produce a striking gold and multicolored almost fractal like pattern in these minerals.

Upon closer inspection with a metallographic microscope amazing structures can be seen in these minerals that were not so readily apparent before the base etching.

The photos show the multicolored sulfides against the dull silver acid etched kamacite and taenite the minerals. What can be seen clearly in the second photograph are parallel lines in that sulfide mineral. Looking through the microscope, this is much more apparent than in this photograph which is taken with a Sony Mavica camera held to the eyepiece. There are many other things visible in these grains that have been colored by this base etching that are not so apparent these photographs. I have much to learn about this process, and what these minerals are and how they formed.

So, any comments?

Steve Schoner\AMS

Photos:

http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey/Uruacu3.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey/Uruacu4.jpg

.

--0-2047704761-1065977958=:8446

<DIV>
<DIV>In an attempt to break the spell of dispute that is running rampant through this list I post the following pictures. <BR><BR>They show what happens to a Uruacu iron that was nitrol etched, then again etched in NaOH for the anti-rusting treatment. <BR><BR>What is amazing is that the NaOH etches the sulfides in this meteorite to produce a striking gold and multicolored almost fractal like pattern in these minerals. <BR><BR>Upon closer inspection with a metallographic microscope amazing structures can be seen in these minerals that were not so readily apparent before the base etching. <BR><BR>The photos show the multicolored sulfides against the dull silver acid etched kamacite and taenite the minerals.&nbsp; What can be seen clearly in the second photograph are parallel lines in that sulfide mineral.&nbsp; Looking through the microscope, this is much more apparent than in this photograph which is taken with a Sony Mavica camera held to the eyepiece.&nbsp; There are many other
 things visible in these grains that have been colored by this base etching that are not so apparent these photographs.&nbsp; I have much to learn about this process, and what these minerals are and how they formed.<BR><BR>So, any comments?<BR><BR>Steve Schoner\AMS</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Photos:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey/Uruacu3.jpg">http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey/Uruacu3.jpg</A></DIV>