[meteorite-list] Photo of Fiery Object Over UK Mystifies Scientists

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:27 2004

A spectrum would probably just tell you that it is yellow. I would think
that there is not enough detail (resolution) to show up any elemental
spectra. I tried running it through a Histogram/spectral plot in a
'paint program', but without a reference it is meaningless.

One other thought though is, that digital camera's see 'infra red' too,
where as normal camera's do not, so in theory if the 'fireball' was
bright hot fire and not a cold reflection (say from a contrail), then
the image would appear 'whiter' than it should do with a reflection
?(since the IR shows up as white) try taking a photo of a flame (or a
working IR TV remote control) with a digital camera, you will be able to
see the infra red portion that is invisible to the naked eye it will
appear white! Candle flames often appear 'white' in digital shots for
this very reason...

Mark Ford