[meteorite-list] NP Article, 09-1983 Life in Murchison Meteorite?

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:27 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0046_01C3918D.A21690F0

Paper: Lethbridge Herald
City: Lethbridge, Alberta
Date: Saturday, September 03, 1983
Page: C3

Maybe we're not alone

WASHINGTON (AP) - The discovery that a meteorite fell to Earth with five =
chemicals found in the genes of all living creatures improves the chances=
 that life exists in other part of the universe, a researcher says.
The findings "suggest that life elsewhere in the universe is more likely,=
 and they provide a clearer understanding of the origins of life on Earth=
," Dr. Cyril Ponnamperuma, a University of Maryland researcher said Monda=
y.
"We found only the precursors of life," he added. "We have not found life=
 there (in the meteorite)."
Chemicals called bases, which were found in the Murchison meteorite that =
was recovered in Australia in 1969, are the basic components of deoxyribo=
nucleic acid, or DNA, and ribonucleic acid, or RNA, the molecules that ma=
ke up genetic material.
Their existence in the meteorite has been confirmed by Dr. Stanley Miller=
 of the University of California at San Diego and researches at the Unive=
rsity of Missouri at Columbia, Ponnamperuma said.

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0046_01C3918D.A21690F0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Paper: Lethbridge Herald</P> <P>City: Lethbridge, Alberta</P> <P>Da=
te: Saturday, September 03, 1983</P> <P>Page: C3</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P=
>Maybe we're not alone</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>WASHINGTON (AP) - The discove=
ry that a meteorite fell to Earth with five chemicals found in the genes =
of all living creatures improves the chances that life exists in other pa=
rt of the universe, a researcher says.</P> <P>The findings "suggest that =
life elsewhere in the universe is more likely, and they provide a clearer=
 understanding of the origins of life on Earth," Dr. Cyril Ponnamperuma, =
a University of Maryland researcher said Monday.</P> <P>"We found only th=
e precursors of life," he added. "We have not found life there (in the me=
teorite)."</P> <P>Chemicals called bases, which were found in the Murchis=
on meteorite that was recovered in Australia in 1969, are the basic compo=
nents of deoxyribonucleic acid, or DNA, and ribonucleic acid, or RNA, the=
 molecules that make up genetic material.</P> <P>Their existence in the m=
eteorite has been confirmed by Dr. Stanley Miller of the University of Ca=
lifornia at San Diego and researches at the University of Missouri at Col=
umbia, Ponnamperuma said.</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteAr=
ticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV=