[meteorite-list] Franco L3.8

From: Pierre Rochette <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:27 2004

Dear list

this is to confirm that the L3.8 M. Franco is selling under the unofficial
name "SWA01003" (or no name at all) has been examined by various experts
and classified in agreement with the Nom Com rules (by A. Jambon in Paris).
What delayed the publication in MetBull seems to be that M. Franco ask that
his meteorites should not get a NWA name (meaning nobody knows exactly
where they come from and to which they are paired) but get the same
privilege as the Labennes' Saharas, i.e. having a precise relative position
but undisclosed absolute position. The commitee is probably reluctant to
multiply these privileges and adhoc names, but may not use the same
coordinate system as for the Sahara as the undisclosed reference point
should be different for Franco and Labennes... However I am sure that they
will come to an agreement, mostly because it is the obvious interest of the
community to have one Sahara like entry for hundreds of paired specimens
instead of hundreds of different NWA entries like when different samples of
the same fall is classified in different labs leading to the use of
unecessary lab and researcher time.
So everybody can get these really nice chondrites (I got a big one
myself...) for little money and be reassured that they will get an official
name in next Bulletin.

Pierre