[meteorite-list] Re: NP Article, 09-1963 3 Lakes in Canada Meteorite Craters

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:27 2004

Dear Mark Bostic and list,
  Mark, you post the neatest articles! Brings back
memories.
  Alvin Cohen was one of my profs at U. Pgh. Like
Murray Kornhauser, he was an early expert in his field
that deserves more recognition-- in Cohen's case,
meteor crater identification and lunar studies.
I remember I wrote a paper on the Nahkla meteorite for
his course--it was a good persuasive paper but he took
points off because I mis-spelled "Nahkla" throughout
it. I still have to look up the spelling...did I spell
it right?
  Dr. Cohen had a thin section of Nahkla to study. I
remember learning of the dead dog story, and I noted
there were no canine hairs in the thin section.
  Dr. Cohen's wife, whom I also had the pleasure of
meeting, is a very nice person from Finland. It was
rumored by some grad students that Dr Cohen looked at
various cultures and came to the conclusion that a
wife from Finland would suit him best. Of course, I
doubt if this rumor is true, but it says something
very positive about the careful scientific methodolgy
he follows in his research. People extrapolated it to
his personal life in rumor. He is a careful scientist,
and his conclusions were well founded.
I liked him as a prof. very much.

Francis Graham