[meteorite-list] A Letter From Blaine Reed

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:28 2004

Hi list,

Blaine has asked me to post a message he has been trying to get to the list for two
days in regards to the recent fighting. Since he has no internet access I have agreed
to post his remarks. I am simply putting this on for him and responses can go to the
list but I hope all this will die down now. Blaine in my opinion is a super sharp guy
and has a better feeling for the meteorite market than most people. I think listening
to his good advise is wise. All my best to everyone.

--AL Mitterling

>From Blaine:

ENOUGH ALREADY,

 All of these ridiculous threats, accusations and ego battles must stop. They are
destroying the hobby! Every time there is some kind of flare up on the list, I get
phone calls from collectors asking to be dropped from my customer list (and from the
number of long term collectors I no longer hear from I suspect many more are taking a
more passive route to the same ends). When I ask why, they have all said the same
thing; "I am no longer collecting meteorites". They tend to say that it is no longer
fun or enjoyable. When pressed further, they have pointed to the list for their new
found distaste of meteorites. While this may be well and fine for some of us, as often
these people also want to liquidate their collections, it bodes the decline of the
hobby. Let's look at this "hobby" thing. Some of you may find it distasteful that I'm
putting meteorites in this realm. But, what is a hobby really about? It generally is
something (almost anything - mountain climbing and flying ultra-lights are a couple of
mine) that brings relaxation or expands your mind to consider other things (meteorites
fit more into this aspect). Generally it is something that takes your mind off of the
day to day troubles of the real world.

 Let us now consider how "the list" might be affecting this. The average person has
plenty to worry about; politics and headaches at work (or more common lately, whether
they'll even have a job next month), car troubles, problems with some neighbors, their
kids, schools, etc. Life these days is often fast paced and difficult. Now suppose our
"average collector" comes home from a long difficult day at work and finds plenty
headaches (the car is damaged, junior is failing math, etc.) waiting there. After
awhile our collector goes off to the computer for a little escape to feel more in
contact with their hobby (and less with the real world). How long do you suppose this
person will last as a collector if, when he turns on his computer, all he gets is the
evils of the real world dumped in his lap, and often in a more magnified form then
they would likely ever experience in the real world (it's strange, but I've observed
some of the most vicious people behind a computer a computer key board are some of the
funniest, nicest people you could meet in person)? Chances are, at the point they find
that their hobby seems to be adding to their stress instead of reducing it, they will
move onto greener pastures.

I know, many of you are thinking right now B.S.. Anybody who is on the list is a grown
person and likely a seasoned collector, so they can handle these mental assaults. My
response is Wrong! Though the people who regularly post to the list may be so, a fair
number of the observers are likely new to the hobby (in today's world, it seems the
first thing someone does when they get interested in a new hobby is sign up for a
related chat room to learn more). I even suspect there are many beginning (and a fair
number of non beginning) collectors who would like to post questions to the list but
dare not for fear of being shouted down as a moron or just plain made to look foolish
for exposing their ignorance.
 So what can be done? At this point it is an extremely difficult problem. There are
many possible answers. The people involved could be drafted to help, as it takes both
an instigator and a responder to have a full-fledged fight. I realize it is not very
realistic to expect someone to be silent after someone has slammed them, but there
would be no battles if they did. Asking people about other lists (in other fields and
hobbies) has indicated to me that lists that have no or very limited oversight tend to
rapidly breakdown into an ugly battle-zone. So, the most obvious answer to the problem
is to have a dedicated moderator. If there is no such person now, then one needs to be
found (and if one cannot be found then it is my opinion that it would be best for
everyone to simply shut the list down, a measure I truly hope doesn't have to come to
any real consideration). Their job would be to make certain that anything that even
whiffs of being a threat, attack or slanderous statement never makes it to the public
eye. To make their job easier in the long run, they may find it beneficial to remove
those people that seem determined to regularly attempt to post such things. I realize
that many may see this as the evil CENSORSHIP, but for the long-term good of the hobby
it is necessary (and on a personal note, I don't believe "freedom of speech" is a
valid excuse to ignore this job). The list should be a place for honest questions,
answers and information about meteorites, not a forum for flagrant self-promotion and
damaging personal attacks.

I know I am likely just digging my own grave that much quicker having this posted. The
rare times in the past I have had to post something I have lost customers in droves
(likely those that may have considered my arguments to be against their views). But,
if nothing is said, nothing can be considered or, better yet, changed. If nothing is
done, there likely won't be much left of the hobby and I'll be out of business anyway.
My hope is that some of the many of you that have expressed these same opinions to me
in private (but wouldn't post them) will now come out of hiding. Oh, that's right,
that is not likely. These are the people that have pretty much quit the hobby, dropped
from or ignore the list and will not see this.

Blaine Reed