[meteorite-list] mail-archive.com

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:30 2004

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com/maillist.html

Well, as was predicted, it is now mid-month and the
List Archive is down, again - it's missing all of this
months posts prior to Oct 14th. No surprise, given
the heavy volume of posts this month.

But the good news is that the "Mail-Archive.com" is
still giving us access to those messages now missing
on the "Pairlist.net" server. (Given the content of
some of those posts, some people might consider that
bad news;-) And here's something I found interesting
- Art, our Admin, wasn't aware of this "mirror" site
until I notified him of the Pairlist.net Archives
being down. So there is very little that I can add
about who runs this "freebie" Mail-Archives.

Actually, the only "bad news" is that the Mail-Archive
lags behind on posting our messages by as much as
several hours. If you want to see near-instantaneous
posting of M-List messages, you still need to go to
this web site:

http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2003-October/date.html

Again, the problems with the Archives, and this List
ALWAYS going down near the end of the month, isn't due
to the large number of posts, but is due to the large
size of many posts. In many cases, unnecessarily
large, and hence, makes all these problems AVOIDABLE.

And now that we know that Art is footing the bill for
this list, any suggestions that we "pay for more
server space", would be considered "very tacky". So
for the time being, we all need to do our part to make
Art's job easier, and to make the List run smoother.

Bob V.