[meteorite-list] nitric acid disposal

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:31 2004

Hello All,
Thanks to Dave Freeman for the acid disposal idea. Here are a few more ideas.

  It is very important that you dilute the acid with LOTS of water, a ratio
of 10 parts water to 1 part acid might be a good place to start. The more
water you use, the better. If you add baking soda to undiluted acid, you
will get a near explosive reaction, so MAKE SURE you dilute the acid with
enough water. In addition to wearing eye protection, wear rubber gloves,
old shoes and old long pants. In the event you spill some of the acid
solution, you don't want to ruin your clothes. A rubberized or plastic
apron like the ones sold at lapidary stores is a good idea too.

Another thing. Don't dump an entire container of the baking soda into your
acid solution all at once. Add a little bit at a time to give you an idea
of how much the combination will react and expand.

Best,
John Gwiliam