[meteorite-list] Collecting Habits

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:33 2004

Walter, Elton, Martin and others:

Great threads are often difficult to maintain momentum with each additional
post, let alone improve on, so I enter this message with trepidation.

I began collecting about 4 to 5 years ago, not exactly sure when. My first
purchases were from Mike Farmer buying 3 individuals: an Allende at about
$10/g, Gao at $4/g, and Sikhote Alin at $3/g...with Mike throwing in a small
Henbury for free since it was first time...a virgin collector! I was the
first guy I knew to actually own rocks from space. I had studied meteorites
and their pricing for about a year on the internet before hand...led into it
by finding a number of very nice meteorwrongs during some rockhounding times
at lunch. Both M.Casper and B. Haag looked at them...and the experiences of
dealing with them were at two ends of the spectrum. Michael worked with me
but in the end had little patience for my questions/issues, while Bob made a
personal phone call to me at work to tell me what I had (old slag), but
encouraged his new "amigo" to go out and look for meteorites, and to become a
collector of these special rocks. That one call put me over the edge...and
quite frankly I knew very little about the Meteorite Man at that time. I have
never spoken to him since, but one day I hope to thank him for his
encouragement. We should all be such ambassadors...I really was touched by
his short message of enthusiasm for meteorites. So a year later or less I was
an owner of a few.

Once I started collecting it didn't take long for me to recognize that the
Morrocan meteorites were starting to make an impact. I was not a list member
but read a view posts on occasion about how these desert rocks were junk and
going to ruin everything. I started to buy them anyway from Ebay, and from
others including our own Ed Moore from Maine. Then the rush of Ebay beauties
came from all over, and in particular I focused my buying on the new guy on
the block...Eduardo, who bought most of Casper's material. Eduardo can tell
you I have a number of the pieces he put on Ebay early in his selling...now
those were some good old days for me.

Since then pricing has dropped dramatically for many name falls/finds like
Gao, SA, and Allende, and the onslaught of type specimens made it convenient
for me to become a type collector, with most being micromounts including many
duplicates that I will one day pair down. What I noticed in the last two
years or so is that I'm buying a lot less specimens, but my price per
purchase has gone up significantly. I'm buying bigger, better and rarer
stuff, which I think is the normal trend from what I understand. I'm still
into types and visually appealing pieces...though I have yet to find a real
niche. I have stones for the most part because the east coast is rough on the
irons and pallasites.

I have yet to get the history bug, or to have to have the ones with stories
as being must buys...that day may yet to come. Hammerstones, etc.

I'm proud of my collection and have shared it with several classrooms at my
boys schools. I hope to do more in that realm.

My dreams and wonderings along Walter's line of thought is "What do these
different types look like in space, before they are ripped apart and scorched
by our atmosphere, followed by the weathering affects on the ground". I
believe they are very pure looking out in space with colors of black, and
white, yellowish tan, mottled, a "painted" look for some breccias, shiny (if
lighted) metal-steel looking, etc....I think we would be surprised by the
range of colors and looks!

Maybe a NASA or private mission in our lifetime will be to go out and grab a
few for study. Now that would be cool. I'm waiting for that day!! Until
then...

Thanx for reading one guy's story/dream,

John