[meteorite-list] Re: Another possibly-misidentified fireball

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:34 2004

Apparently, I'm not the only one that finds it hard to
believe that this fireball was from a meteor shower:

--------- Messages Forward without Permission
---------

From: http://www.meteorobs.org

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:07:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: nmcleod_at_peganet.com
Subject: Re: Another possibly-misidentified fireball

>http://www.heraldonline.com/local/story/2962813p-2716565c.html
>
>Bright lights in tri-county night sky were caused by
>meteor showers, experts say

Any time something like this happens at, or near, the
maximum of a shower, the "experts" instantly
identify the unknown object as a member of the
shower. Often it came from the "showers."

The experts include such categories as meteorologists
and non-observing professional astronomers.
They don't know a thing about meteor behavior,
especially that most of the major showers are not
visible so early in the evening.

Concerning the spectacular reentry over Washington
State a few years ago in November, an unknowledgable
astronomer pinned this object on the Leonids
despite the early evening appearance.

Norman
Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor