[meteorite-list] Solar flare update: CME will reach earth tonite!

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:36 2004

Hi All,

Update on the approaching coronal mass ejection. Based on the movement
of the CME front from 11:42 UT to 12:42 UT in the SOHO wide-field (C3)
camera, I computed an approximate velocity of 4.7 million mph. If this
velocity was maintained, it would reach Earth in just under 20 hours.
Extrapolating backward, the CME would have left the sun's surface at
around 11:02 UT -- so the earliest arrival at earth would be 7:00 UT
on Wednesday, October 29th (or 11 pm *tonite* Pacific Time!). In
other words, don't wait 'til Wednesday night to look for an aurora --
it could very well begin tonite! I just checked the NOAA site, and
the activity has been hovering around 9 or 10. Too bad there's so
much smoke in the air in southern California. --Rob