[meteorite-list] Why Meteorites Are Unlikely To Cause Fires

From: Marcia Swanson <MJSOfArc_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:36 2004

Thanks Ron,and List,
This is a question that has been plaguing me for a while, thus earlier
in year, I addressed the List about it, and was told about
zero-velocity, ect., but this article breaks it down even more. Thank
you Ron.
Woud the same principles be present in a large asteroid disintigtating
(exploding/vaporising) just before it impacted on earth within our
atmosphere, should it make it in that close ( Tugunsta and
similiar)? In that, the pieces, metal bearing ( heat condusive), would
be subject to our gravitational and friction factor, depending on what
velocity and distance, they are spewn apart to ? Friction is a factor in
our atmosphere, once it explodes here, frozen or not, isn' it ? How much
heat, due to our friction, if any, does a shockwave accumulate? I know
there is no way of measuring an exact answer for this question, as every
occurance and strewnfield is different, but
I really don't understand why, under these circumstances, a margin of
credability doesn't exist? The provrbial, exception to the rule? Could
it be that the shockwave, not the meteorite fragments, itself could
create under the right climate ( hot dry) the ability to generate enough
heat to ignite combustible earth matter?
Excuse my ignorance, but I would sincerely, as a student, like any
possible answers or theories to my querry, from anyone that would be so
kind. Best Regards, Marcie