[meteorite-list] Data in auctions

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:36 2004

Hi Jamie & all,
        I believe the refinement of posting info on eBay you suggest
below is as good as it is going to get, given all the people selling on
eBay. If list members adopted this this format:

name, class, specimen weight, cut, comments

it would be, in my opinion, a great boon to ebay functioning.
    One of the reasons I rarely even check ebay is that such information
is often lacking in the list of items offered. This is the info I ALWAYS
look for just to CONSIDER checking an item out. I have been frustrated
hundreds of times, seeing a name - but no weight listed - checking
it out only to find it is a Bessey Speck or the like. Or, I want a whole
stone, and it is a part slice, or vice verca & on & on.
        Besides for making the eBay meteorite market FAR more
"buyer friendly" it would, as you point out, make analysis vastly
easier.
        I suggest all sellers use this format if they don't already (I have
always included this info in my listings) and that the IMCA encourage
all members to do the same when selling on eBay.
        That's my two cents.
        Michael

on 10/30/03 6:56 AM, Jamie Stephens at j.stephens_at_morphism.com wrote:

> Though I can't find the postings, I think somebody recently
> suggested a standard format for auction titles. The goal
> was to help buyers find what they are looking for. A side
> benefit would be the ability to help gather the data above.
>
> Possible title format:
>
> Meteorite NAME CLASSIFICATION SPECIMENMASS CUT COMMENTS
>
> For example:
>
> Meteorite DaG 609 EUC(S3)(W2) 2.3g Partslice Pretty

Hubble space telescope - AMAZING photos!:
http://wires.news.com.au/special/mm/030811-hubble.htm
--
Don't accept rides from strange men, and remember that all men are strange.
    Robin Morgan
--
http://www.costofwar.com/
--