[meteorite-list] H-chondrite or mesosiderite?

From: Mikestockj_at_aol.com <Mikestockj_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:37 2004

-------------------------------1067631861

In a message dated 10/31/2003 10:17:10 AM Mountain Standard Time,
jonee_at_epix.net writes:
http://www.geocities.com/aerolitehunter/mesomaybe.jpg
Hi Graham
I did not see your earlier post. It looks to me like the stuff from Nevada
that is being sold on Ebay as a possible meteorite or meteorwrong. If that is
the same stuff then you have one of the best meteorwrongs I have ever came
across. It passes a nickel test and is magnetic. But if you look at it closely it
is porous and very light. All pieces that are found have been buried for some
time. This is what also helps make it harder to determine its origin.
Also after examining several pieces I noticed specks of quartz as well as
other slag like features. The real killer for me was that one piece had some of
basalt adhering to the outside of the piece. If you look at your photo the
chondrule looking object is probably quartz or other silica as well.
Though I must admit I do have a very tiny doubt and plan on sending a piece
in for testing. The finder of these pieces is a beginning meteorite collector
and was just looking to see if he could elicit some opinions from knowledgeable
meteorite collectors. The way he is selling these on Ebay leaves little doubt
that they are not meteorites but only could be. I commended him for his
honesty and openness. I also told him if in fact they turn out not to be meteorites
that he could still sell them as meteorwrongs on ebay....just like Putorana.
Bummer isn't it. :(
Mike

Mike Jensen
Bill Jensen
Jensen Meteorites
16730 E Ada PL
Aurora, CO 80017-3137
303-337-4361
Web Site: Jensen Meteorites

-------------------------------1067631861

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type charset=3DUTF-8 content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.100" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 10/31/2003 10:17:10 AM Mountain Standard Time, jonee=
_at_epix.net writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid"><FONT face=3DArial>http://www.geocities.com/aerolitehunter/mesoma=
ybe.jpg</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV>Hi Graham</DIV>
<DIV>I did not see your earlier post. It looks to me like the stuff from Nev=
ada that is being sold on Ebay as a possible meteorite or meteorwrong. If th=
at is the same stuff then you have one of the best meteorwrongs I have ever=20=
came across. It passes a nickel test and is magnetic. But if you look at it=20=
closely it is porous and very light. All pieces that are found have been bur=
ied for some time. This is what also helps make it harder to determine its o=
rigin. </DIV>
<DIV>Also after examining several pieces I noticed specks of quartz as well=20=
as other slag like features. The real killer for me was that one piece had s=
ome of basalt adhering to the outside of the piece. If you look at your phot=
o the chondrule looking object is probably quartz or other silica&nbsp;as we=
ll.</DIV>
<DIV>Though I must admit I do have a very tiny doubt and plan on sending a p=
iece in for testing. The finder of these pieces is a beginning meteorite col=
lector and was just looking to see if he could elicit some opinions from kno=
wledgeable meteorite collectors. The way he is selling these on Ebay leaves=20=
little doubt that they are not meteorites but only could be. I commended him=
 for his honesty and openness. I also told him if in fact they turn out not=20=
to be meteorites that he could still sell them as meteorwrongs on ebay....ju=
st like Putorana.</DIV>
<DIV>Bummer isn't it. :(</DIV>
<DIV>Mike</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 PTSIZE=3D"10">Mike Jensen<BR>Bill Jensen<BR>Jensen Meteo=
rites<BR>16730 E Ada PL<BR>Aurora, CO 80017-3137<BR>303-337-4361<BR>Web Site=
: <A href=3D"http://jensenmeteorites.com/">Jensen Meteorites</A> </FONT></DI=