Fwd: Re: [meteorite-list] Brahin stability

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:18 2004

--0-900093379-1064978180=:56105

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://shopping.yahoo.com
--0-900093379-1064978180=:56105

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:14:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Brahin stability
To: Tom aka James Knudson <knudson911_at_frontiernet.net>
Cc: meteorite-list_at_yahoo.com

--- Tom aka James Knudson <knudson911_at_frontiernet.net>
wrote:
> Hello List, Have any of you tried VCI with Brahin,
> if so how does it work?
> Thanks, Tom
> Peregrineflier <><
> The proudest member of the IMCA 6168

Tom,

I really doubt that any VCI would work as one still
has in badly rusing irons and pallasites the
hydroscopic iron-nickel chlorides to deal with.

As long as there is moist air they will suck that
moisture out and cause greenish brown blebs of liquid
on the specimen. And that will then progress into the
rust cancer. This is exactly what happens on cars
with rust cancer.

Chlorine from salt is the problem. Once that chlorine
hitches a ride on Fe... It all over.

I have found no other solution that can remove
chlorine from iron meteorites. However, chlorine has
a much greater affinity to sodium than to iron, and if
enough sodium is present in solution that is where it
will go, to the sodium. And NaCl disolves in water,
hence the soaking afterwards.

So if you can lock that chlorine to the salt form as
in NaCl, it can be washed away in repeated rinsing in
distilled water (chlorine free) and the problem will
go away too.

Steve Schoner/ams