[meteorite-list] AW: meteorite photography scales & more

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:51 2004

Hi Jose, and all,

As to the 10x10x10mm cubes you wrote:

> Perhaps the T on the cube stands for "Top"?
> What about the other letters?

Yes, the T stands for "Top". The other letters
are B, E, N, W, S - so guess what? They stand for:

B = Bottom
E = East
N = North
W = West
S = South

The cube is not only used as a scale (at least
not in the documentation of Antarctic finds),
but also to indicate the exact spatial location
of the meteorite at his find location. Good
idea, isn't it ;-? However, I've seen more than
one case (in non-Antarctic use) where the
photographer obviously wasn't aware of this
"secondary function" of the cube.

Hope I helped clearing this issue beyond its
arithmetic implications. As far as I'm concerned
I have NO idea why some folks still stick to
anachronistic measures such as "inch", "foot",
or "yard". Time to adopt to the metric system,
isn't it ;-? BTW, these cubes ARE metric, at
least the original ones used by the ANSMET.

Best,
Norbert